How to Create a New Google Account
- Go to www.gmail.com.
- Click Create account.
- The sign-up form will appear. …
- Next, enter your phone number to verify your account. …
- You will receive a text message from Google with a verification code. …
- Next, you will see a form to enter some of your personal information, like your name and birthday.
- Anything you do on Google can be used for marketing and product development. Every time you “upload, submit, store, send or receive content” you’re giving Google the right to “use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works…communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute” it but only if they’re using it for “operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones.” Every act you take with your new Google account will be saved. Even ones you may presume to be private, like email messages.
- You can manage your own data. Google will store “video(s) you watched, device IDs, IP addresses, cookie data, and location.” If you don’t like the idea of all that data out there tied to your name, you can control which data is stored at myaccount.google.com.
Access your new Google account
- Google Drive
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Hangouts
- Google Calendar
- Google Slides
- Google Play
These are just a sample of the programs you can use with your new Google account. If you are using Google for work, you can upgrade to G Suite, which is a paid service but gives you more cloud storage and more opportunities for collaboration with your employees or coworkers.
The following services require a Google account
- Tiller Money – Personal finance software that automatically updates Google Sheets with your daily spending, account balances, and transactions, with easy templates for budgeting, paying down debt, tracking spending and more. Free 3–day trial.
- Trumba – A calendar system for event planners and promoters built to work with Google Calendar.
- 24me – Built for personal use, 24me is an app that consolidates all your different calendars into one, and encourages you to set to-do/task lists. While you don’t need a new Google account to use 24me, it does allow you to sync your current Google Calendar and turn your Gmail messages into tasks on your to-do list.
- Botsheets – A chatbot content management system which uses Google Sheets to autogenerate content for Facebook Messenger.